Sunday, March 11, 2012
spring forward with a spring mantel
It may not 'officially' be spring yet...but we sprung forward last night so that counts for me! While some complained about springing forward, I have been waiting for this day for a little while now. I don't look at it like I lost an hour of sleep, because well, I don't have kids to wake me up and I don't work on Sundays - so, I just slept an hour longer! Not to rub it in for some of you ;) But seriously, I LOVE when it stays lighter later. No more coming home from work, rushing to make dinner, and feeling like it's almost bed time already. Now, I'll leave work while the sun is still shining and have time to make dinner and still take the pup to the park after to enjoy a walk with my little family. Oh, how I've been looking forward to this!
While J spent the weekend studying, I spent the weekend crafting. The neighbors might possibly dislike me after the smell and fumes of spray paint lurked in the backyard area all weekend. I went through a few bottles... but the outcome was worth it to me :) A 100% DIY mantel..it kills time for me and then I get to enjoy the beauty of it all afterwards.
Just about everything was handmade using items I already had laying around in the garage. It's amazing what a little paint and fabric can do!
Now for the important stuff:
The empty big frame above the mantel was an ugly ol' picture I found while helping my brother move. I *kindly* talked him into giving it to me ;) I removed the backing, took everything out of it, and pulled out the staples holding the picture in place. Then, just spray painted.
To make the yellow bottles: drink some beer, clean out the bottles, and spray paint! I also spray painted the sticks to put in them.
To make the 'cake pedestal,' I purchased a small Terracotta planter and plant base, spray painted them, and attached using e6000 glue. (Place the Terracotta planter upside-down) This was a total of $4.
For the Easter/spring wreath, follow the same directions from the Christmas Wreath Tutorial. Only, instead of yarn, I wrapped the wreath with fabric. I made the same flower types as in that tutorial and hung from the frame with a strip of fabric.
The spring banner was made using fabric and felt cut into triangles and clothes-pinned onto jute twine.
If you're interested in making burlap balls, I simply crushed up a piece of computer paper, and wrapped 1 1/2" wide strips of burlap around them using hot glue until it was covered.
The apothecary jar was made back in October (follow this tutorial) and I just lightly painted yellow over the black. Looks messy but I'm okay with it! It's filled with mini Robin eggs.
For the frame with the starfish, I spray painted an old frame we had (Hospice Thrift Store special courtesy of Grandma), put a piece of scrapbook paper in it and hot glued one of the starfish from our wedding on it.
Spray paint colors used: Krylon Blue Ocean Breeze, Krylon Bright Idea, and Krylon Satin Jade.
The total I spent this weekend at Hobby Lobby was a whopping $17 for all of this (excluding items I already had).
Clearly, we are readyyy for spring around here and I will be lovin' these bright evenings :) The windows are open, and we are making our way out more and more. Make room for spring, everyone!